As the name implies, Gilman can only be reached by boat. The island was, until recently, home to the former Titcomb Cabin, built in memory of John Abbott Titcomb ’32. The cabin was constructed in 1952, of hemlock and pine, as a replacement for two other DOC cabins located on nearby Chase and Johnson Islands. When the New England Power Company, now TransCanada hydro, planned its Wilder Dam project, both islands were expected to be flooded. The company donated the wood and a lease on the land on Gilman as compensation for the Outing Club’s loss. Titcomb cabin burned to the ground on May 6th, 2009. A crew of dedicated students spent much of the past few summers rebuilding the cabin. Check out their blog to learn about the process and see photos. The NEW Titcomb Cabin is now open and available ot rent. Call the Ledyard Canoe Club at (603) 643-6709 to reserve or see The Ledyard Canoe Club website for more info. Gilman island is still free to be roamed by all. Its seemingly remote location in the middle of a relatively undeveloped portion of the river creates an atmosphere of serenity not to be found anywhere else so near to campus. Such an overnight is one of the best, and is certainly the nearest, of escapes from the hustle and bustle of campus life.
Use of Titcomb Cabin is by reservation only. Contact the Ledyard Canoe Club at (603) 643-6709 for more information.
How to get there:
Ledyard Canoe Club provides canoes to club members (or rents them to non-members) during the warmer months, from approximately May until October. The island is located about a half mile down-river from the Canoe Club.
Last Updated: 4/16/13